The Coalition for Gun Control/Pour le Controle des Armes

Archive for September, 2009

from 680 News: A teen and his parents face multiple gun and drug charges

Posted by cgccanada on September 29, 2009

Toronto – A 16-year-old and his parents face a slew of charges after a weekend raid.

According to Toronto police, the Guns and Gang Task Force, with the assistance of the Emergency Task Force, raided a home on Jane Street, Saturday, where they found two loaded semi-automatic handguns and a quantity of drugs.

The Toronto family has been charged with 41 offences, including unauthorized possession of a restricted weapon… read more

Posted in Cost of gun violence, Current Events | Tagged: , , | Comments Off on from 680 News: A teen and his parents face multiple gun and drug charges

Media Release: The Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW); dismantling gun registry a threat to public safety

Posted by cgccanada on September 28, 2009

Today, Monday, September 28, 2009, Bill C-391: an Act to amend the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act (to repeal the gun registry) will enter into second reading in the House of Commons. Bill C-391 intends to eliminate long-gun registration and to destroy all existing registration records.

This is despite the fact that information about the guns individuals own is essential to Canada’s police agencies; the gun registry is consulted by police 10,000 times a day and has helped in efforts to take preventive actions and in several investigations.

Rifles and shotguns are the firearms most often used to kill women and children in domestic violence. 88% of Canadian women killed with guns are killed with a shotgun or rifle, the very guns that supporters of Bill C-391 say are not the cause of gun violence.

The Canadian Federation of University Women believes that gun control is an important measure to help prevent public violence and especially domestic violence against women and children.  The CFUW calls upon Members of Parliament of all parties to vote against Bill C-391 to reduce violence in Canadian families and communities.

For more information:
The Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW)
251 Bank Street, Suite 305
Ottawa, Ontario, K2P 1X3
Telephone: 613 234 8252
http://www.cfuw.org/

Posted in Current Events, Gun Registry | Tagged: , , , , | Comments Off on Media Release: The Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW); dismantling gun registry a threat to public safety

From: NATIONAL POST – SEPTEMBER 22, 2009, Police follow paper trail to 400 unregistered guns

Posted by cgccanada on September 25, 2009

Sorting dusty files and scrolling through outdated databases, Toronto police have tracked down 400 unregistered guns they say could have fallen into the hands of criminals. Project Safe City, launched in March, takes aim at gun owners who have let their registration lapse. By following old fashioned paper trails and knocking on doors, police are tracking down anyone who has previously owned a registered firearm. By combing through gun registries, dating back to well before the current registry system was put in place in 1995, officers compiled a list of 17,000 possible cases in which someone may be in possession of a weapon that’s registration has expired. “I can guarantee you here today there are 400 guns that won’t be crime guns,” said Superintendent Greg Getty, from Organized Crime Enforcement. Insp. Getty said Project Safe City has not diverted resources from other projects, including those focused on keeping guns from crossing at the border. He said this project was focused on cutting down the number of weapons that could be stolen from Canadians and used in a crime. He said 30 per cent of “crime guns” are domestic, many stolen by criminals. “At some point all of these firearms have been legally registered,” he said. “As the result of confusion, as the result of registration revocation, as a result of license expiration, the person or persons have become in illegal possession of these firearms.” Supt. Getty said that police have followed up on 5,000 leads, knocking on the doors of citizens who may have an old handgun stashed in the basement of stored forgotten in a closet. He estimated that as many as 4,000 more unregistered weapons could still be in the city. He said police did not lay any charges, although a criminal investigation could have been launched if someone had failed to comply. When contact by police, those in possession of an unregistered firearm had the option to either surrender it for destruction or turn it over until its paperwork had been updated. There are currently 2.3 million firearms legally registered in the province of Ontario. Police suggest that those who have let registrations lapse are also more likely to be less vigilant in keeping them secure. In the 259 shooting incidents in Toronto so far this year, 135 people have been injured and 23 people have died from their injuries.  “I think we’ve created a safer situation. This is very much an anti-violence measure. This is very much intended to prevent crime and make our city safer,” Chief Bill Blair said today. Chief Blair said while the number of injuries has reduced slightly from recent years, the prevalence of shooting is much higher. “When you have 259 occurrences where some fool has discharged a firearm inside the city of Toronto, every one of those was a potential tragedy.”

Posted in Current Events, Gun Registry | Tagged: , , , | Comments Off on From: NATIONAL POST – SEPTEMBER 22, 2009, Police follow paper trail to 400 unregistered guns

En dépit des risques pour la sécurité de la population, Stephen Harper veut obtenir la majorité pour que les Conservateurs puissent démanteler le registre des armes à feu

Posted by cgccanada on September 24, 2009

Toronto, Ontario, 10 septembre 2009: À l’occasion d’une rencontre privée la semaine dernièreà Sault Ste. Marie, le premier ministre Stephen Harper a indiqué à une troupe de supporteurs qu’il désire voir son gouvernement obtenir la majorité pour que les Conservateurs puissent mettreen œuvre leur plan pour affaiblir les mesures de contrôle des armes à feu, cela en dépit du risque pour la sécurité de la population et à l’encontre de l’opposition marquée de la police et des groupes militant en faveur de la sécurité publique. La police, les groupes de femmes et les experts en santé publique de partout au pays
continuent à appuyer les mesures de contrôle sur les armes à feu pour atténuer le risque que des
personnes dangereuses aient accès à des armes. Ces groupes s’opposent aussi explicitement à
l’intention du gouvernement d’abolir l’enregistrement des carabines et des fusils du fait que, sans les
renseignements sur les propriétaires des armes à feu et sur le type d’armes qu’ilspossèdent, il n’existe
aucun moyen de réduire l’utilisation à mauvais escient.

Les statistiques montrent qu’au Canada, les carabines et les fusils sont les armes les plus souvent
utilisées dans les cas de suicide, d’homicide, dans les situations de violence domestique et de meurtre de
policiers. Des armes détenues légalement sont souvent utilisées à mauvais escient par leur propriétaire
ou détournées vers le marché noir. Bien que ce soit le plus souvent des armes de poing qui servent à
proférer un crime en milieu urbain, les carabines et les fusils comptent pour plus du tiers des armes
récupérées dans les grandes villes et ceux-ci surpassent du double le nombre d’armes de poing
récupérées à la suite de crimes dans les villes plus petites telles que cellesde la région de York, en
Ontario, et de Surrey, en Colombie-Britannique. Depuis que des mesures de contrôle plus strictes sur les
armes de poing et les carabines ont été imposées, le taux d’homicides, de suicides et de vols commis
avec une arme a décliné. Même si l’on a investi beaucoup d’argent dans la mise sur pied du système
d’attribution de permis aux propriétaires d’armes et d’enregistrement des armes à feu, la GRC estime que
le démantèlement du registre n’économiserait que trois millions de dollars par année… lisez plus ici

Posted in Current Events, Gun Registry | Tagged: , , | Comments Off on En dépit des risques pour la sécurité de la population, Stephen Harper veut obtenir la majorité pour que les Conservateurs puissent démanteler le registre des armes à feu

Coalition for Gun Control Congratulates Toronto Police Chief leading crackdown on gun owners who have let licenses lapse, or failed to register their guns.

Posted by cgccanada on September 22, 2009

For Immediate Release

Toronto, September 22, 2009 – The misuse of legal guns and their diversion to illegal markets
is a problem. All gun owners must be held accountable for their guns. Because of the amnesty
introduced by the Conservatives in 2006, and renewed since, police cannot lay charges on
those who fail to comply, but can seize the guns until they are properly licensed and registered.
The Coalition for Gun Control’s President, Wendy Cukier, said: “We congratulate Chief Blair for
showing leadership on this. With the successive amnesties introduced by the Conservative
government, the data in the firearms registry is becoming more inaccurate and out of date,
putting the lives of Canadians at stake. Police use the registry more than 10,000 times each
day, both in efforts to take preventative action and as an aid in prosecutions. All guns are
potentially dangerous. All gun owners need to be licensed and all guns need to be registered.
Chief Blair has shown he means business in regakeeping the homes and streets of Toronto safe.”

Posted in Canadian gun control, Current Events, Gun Registry | Tagged: , , , , | Comments Off on Coalition for Gun Control Congratulates Toronto Police Chief leading crackdown on gun owners who have let licenses lapse, or failed to register their guns.

From The Toronto Star, September 19, 2009, Georgina Island gunman surrenders

Posted by cgccanada on September 22, 2009

A police standoff on an island in Lake Simcoe this morning ended peacefully when a gun-wielding man surrendered to police. Officers were first called to a house on Georgina Island, a vacation spot and aboriginal community in York Region, around 5:30 a.m. A 33-year-old man with a gun had holed up inside. It took several hours for police to get into position, as they had to be taken over to the island by ferry. Once there, they surrounded the house, and negotiated an end to the standoff. The man was arrested. So far, no charges have been laid. Ontario Provincial Police say they don’t know what sparked the incident or why the man was carrying the gun.

Posted in Current Events | Tagged: , , | Comments Off on From The Toronto Star, September 19, 2009, Georgina Island gunman surrenders

From: Winnipeg Sun, September 17, 2009, Shotgun seized after standoff

Posted by cgccanada on September 18, 2009

Winnipeg police allegedly seized a loaded shotgun when they searched a West End home after somewhat of a standoff yesterday. Police said two men are in custody. Officers were called to the home in the 500 block of Agnes Street, between Ellice and Sargent avenues, at 3:30 a.m. when a 19-year-old woman was allegedly assaulted and threatened with a firearm. The woman fled the house and called police from a different residence in the area. Police said it was a domestic incident. Officers spoke to the woman at the residence and went to the Agnes Street home shortly before 8 a.m. Members of the tactical support team surrounded the house and eventually convinced several people to exit in the early afternoon. That’s when the males were arrested. Police said a 22-year-old man is charged with two counts each of assault and uttering threats, and single counts of assault with a weapon, pointing a firearm, and three other weapon offences. He is also charged with two counts of breach of probation. A 29-year-old man is charged with six firearms offences, including possession of a firearm while prohibited and breach of firearms regulation, police said.

Posted in Cost of gun violence, Current Events | Tagged: , , , | Comments Off on From: Winnipeg Sun, September 17, 2009, Shotgun seized after standoff

From Spiegel (Germany), September 14, 2009Winnenden Investigation: Father Helped German School Killer to Buy Bullets

Posted by cgccanada on September 17, 2009

Earlier this year, Tim K. killed 15 people and himself in a shooting spree that started at his former school in Winnenden, Germany. According to information obtained by SPIEGEL, the investigation files show that Tim’s father went with him to a gun store to buy 1,000 bullets seven weeks before the shooting. Police investigators have found that the father of Tim K., the 17-year-old who killed 15 people and then himself in the March 11 school shooting spree in and around the south-western town of Winnenden, accompanied his son when he purchased 1,000 bullets from a gun store 47 days before the shooting. The information from the investigator’s case files has been obtained by SPIEGEL. After a store turned the boy away, Tim K. returned with his father Jörg, who ordered the munitions on Jan. 23, 2009. His son then paid, explaining that the bullets were a present for his father, a belated gift for his 50th birthday. Tim K.’s mother said her husband had been pleased by his son’s thoughtfulness, since Tim hadn’t given anyone in his family any presents for years. The 9 mm bullets were the right calibre for the Beretta gun his father kept in a clothing dresser in his bedroom, easily accessible under a pile of sweaters. Tim is believed to have committed the massacre with these bullets. (…) “The process of a constriction of thoughts and feelings during a simultaneous clear and cold planning of murder is well described in literature on sexually motivated serial killers.” Does that mean that Tim K. deliberately targeted girls and women during his killing spree? The fact that 11 of the 12 victims shot by Tim K. at the Albertville school were female suggests it may have been. “For the parents of the victims, this is of course an emotional and existential question,” says Jens Rabe, the attorney is representing the parents of five children killed by Tim K. “I expect the report to go further into detail on this point,” the criminal law specialist said, adding that he felt Tim’s parent’s “shared responsibility.” Public prosecutors in Stuttgart are expected to decide at the end of September whether to press charges against Tim’s father.

Posted in Cost of gun violence, Current Events | Tagged: , , | Comments Off on From Spiegel (Germany), September 14, 2009Winnenden Investigation: Father Helped German School Killer to Buy Bullets

From CTV Toronto, September 15, 2009, Man found in elementary school with gun, police say

Posted by cgccanada on September 16, 2009

A 21-year-old suspect is in police custody after authorities spotted a man roaming through an Ontario elementary school with a loaded shotgun overnight.  Police in Halton region say they paid a visit to Brant Hills School in the north Burlington area after the building’s alarm went off at around 2 a.m. Tuesday.  When they arrived, a man was seen running through the hallways with what police believed to be a weapon, authorities said in a news release.  A short time later, a male suspect was confronted outside the school by officers. Police arrested the man after a short foot chase.  Investigators say a loaded shotgun was seized at the scene.  The tactical team and K-9 unit spent the rest of the morning going through the school grounds, clearing the scene. Police say they don’t know at this point if there are any outstanding suspects.  An official who answered the phone at Brant Hills School said a few things were taken from the property and that the building would remain closed to students for the rest of the day. Regular school hours will resume tomorrow. The suspect’s name has not been released but the 21-year-old Waterdown resident is in police custody facing charges of breaking and entering, possession of stolen property as well as various firearm offences.

Posted in Current Events | Tagged: , , , , | Comments Off on From CTV Toronto, September 15, 2009, Man found in elementary school with gun, police say

From CTV Toronto, September 13, 2009, Shot woman pleaded to neighbour for help

Posted by cgccanada on September 15, 2009

Officers are probing an apparent murder-suicide north of Toronto which has left a mother of two and her estranged husband dead. Witnesses in Orangeville say the woman, identified as 39-year-old Heidi Ferguson, was shot in the chest before she pleaded for help at a neighbour’s home around 1 a.m. Saturday. While she lay dying, Ferguson reportedly told the neighbour: “I’ve been shot by my husband … please help me.” As she was airlifted to Toronto’s Sunnybrook Hospital, clinging to life, police descended on her husband’s million-dollar home in Mono Township, about 13 kilometres from where the shooting occurred. What followed was a standoff between 42-year-old Hugh Ferguson and tactical police. A short time later, officers entered the home to find the man dead, reportedly from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Heidi Ferguson, an interior designer and local businesswoman, had wanted a fresh start in life after separating from her husband, friends say. She had been renting the Orangeville home and was looking to move on without her husband, who was her business partner in a renovation and interior design company. Friends said that the husband was attempting to reconcile just before the deaths. On Sunday, the spacious Mono Township home which she had shared with her husband and two children — a son aged 15 and a daughter aged 19 — was cordoned off with police tape as officers searched for clues. Residents who lived next to the family were shocked by the events. Orangeville neighbour Danny del Zotto said the children are also victims in the deaths. “It’s a terrible thing for something like that to happen to them. And now they have no parents. That’s just terrible,” del Zotto told CTV Toronto. While the chain of events which led to the deaths appears to have been pieced together, the Special Investigations Unit is looking into what occurred during the critical hours before the shooting. According to the Ontario Provincial Police, officers were called to the woman’s Orangeville home late on Friday after receiving reports of a heated fight between the couple. Though officers responded to the call, they left the scene after a short time because the husband had fled. However, less than an hour later, police were back on the scene after a gunshot was fired. The SIU is called in when police are involved in a death or serious injury.

Posted in Cost of gun violence, Current Events, Gun Registry | Tagged: , , | Comments Off on From CTV Toronto, September 13, 2009, Shot woman pleaded to neighbour for help