The Coalition for Gun Control/Pour le Controle des Armes

Gun Control in the News: Roundup

Posted by cgccanada on July 6, 2009

1, July 2,2009,  Armed standoff ends peacefully in Tulita

An armed man surrendered to police this week in Tulita, N.W.T., after leading them on a day-long search followed by a two-hour standoff. Tulita RCMP announced Thursday they arrested the middle-aged man Monday under the Mental Health Act. He has been taken to Stanton Territorial Hospital in Yellowknife for an assessment. Police received a call Saturday evening about a suicidal man armed with a shotgun. But the man had taken off by the time officers arrived at the scene, and police spent Saturday night and all day Sunday searching around the community for him. Police finally found the man, still armed with the shotgun, just after midnight on Monday. “The RCMP located the male on the edge of town, next to a bush line. There was further negotiations that lasted approximately 2.5 hours, and eventually the individual did give himself up peacefully,” Cpl. Kevin Charles told CBC News on Thursday. “There were no shots fired and there was no injuries to anybody.” No charges have been laid at this point.

2 Edmonton Sun, July 2,2009, 100 guns, up to 1M rounds of ammo seized in Red Deer

RED DEER, Alta. — RCMP in Red Deer, Alta., have seized more than 100 firearms and up to one million rounds of ammunition. The weapons and bullets were found in a downtown building. Police say they found the arsenal Tuesday while responding to a complaint about a man making threats. Cpl. Kathe DeHeer says the weapons included pistols, rifles, shotguns and antiques. David Elliott, 46, has been charged with uttering threats, possession of marijuana and unsafe storage of firearms. He remains in custody and is to appear in provincial court on July 23.

3 The Montreal Gazette, July 2, 2009, Cop-killer Basil Parasiris gets parole, By Paul Cherry

MONTREAL – Basil Parasiris, the man who was acquitted of first-degree murder in the death of a Laval police officer, has been granted parole. Parasiris was serving a sentence for firearms that were stored illegally in his home at the time he shot Laval police Constable Daniel Tessier in 2007. Parasiris shot Tessier after the latter burst into his home during a pre-dawn raid with several other police officers. Parasiris was granted the release after appearing before a provincial parole board on Thursday. He was turned down for a release in May, but the board found he has changed since and that the risk of him re-offending is low. The board decided to impose a series of conditions on his release.


Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

%d bloggers like this: